Monday, November 5, 2012

Churning Butter at Red Hill General Store

We received a shipment of butter churns, we'd never used these churns before so we decided to test them out before putting them on our website.

On of our customer service reps, Kandy, was the volunteer to try out the new churn. Here is her story on making butter:


OK….So we got in butter churns for the store a few days ago and I really wanted to make my own butter, only because I love to do things and I have heard stories about it from my granny for years. 
I started with 2 of the small cartons of heavy whipping cream (1 Pint per carton). But, you have to let them set out and get warm… I only know this because of the instructions that I have.  You want your cream somewhere around 60-70 degrees.
When warm enough you pour the cream in to the churn you then you will want to add your salt. I used about ½ teaspoon.
Then start turning…
And turning...
You will feel the cream starting to thicken….
Keep turning…
Then you will see air bubbles…
Keep turning…
Now you will start to see chucks…
You're almost there…keep turning…
As long as your milk is warm enough when you start to churn, it should only take you about 30 minutes to make butter….
Strain the butter milk out of it and place the butter in the freezer…
Once your butter is cooled put some bread in the toaster, add a little butter and maybe some homemade jelly and you have a wonderful snack…

I’m happy that I will be able to tell my grand-kids that I made butter like my granny told me….
I am all smiles, It has been a good day.



We actually wound up making butter twice, one of our employees brought in a vintage version of our new glass butter churn. And we made butter with it as well to compare the two. Both worked well, both made some delicious butter.We did not run into any problems with our butter making.

Have you ever made your own butter? If so we'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...